Those suffering from Qone8.com browser redirects should find this guide informative in terms of research on the adware’s origin and in-depth view of the methods for removing it.
Dealing with Qone8 hijacker is an extremely unpleasant experience in that it constantly directs you to the web page you aren’t up to visiting. Flagged as adware, potentially unwanted program (PUP), or redirect virus, this entity was created with the sole aim of imposing certain Internet browsing parameters upon its victims. More precisely, the malicious app tends to replace the homepage and preferred search engine that you defined per your own wish – with the URLs of Start.qone8.com or Search.qone8.com, respectively.
Technically, this abominable activity is caused by the browser extension which is programmed to recursively modify the user’s online preferences. As long as this app stays listed amongst your add-ons and remains active, you will not be able to restore the right settings manually no matter how often you try to do it. The malicious extension is known to be distributed with third-party apps some of which are Omiga-Plus, Wsys Control, Desk 365, eSave Security Control, New Tabs Uninstall, or Extended Protection, which are marketed as pieces of software intended to ease the browsing process or facilitate some aspects of computer use overall. Qone8 is included in these installs as either an opt-out extra or a covert component. So, users are highly recommended to mind what is being installed and pay particular attention to what’s the bundle, if any.
The reason why Qone8.com hijacker has been around for months is the substantial moneymaking potential it has. Its authors are obviously unwilling to give up the lucrative business of advertising products and services online. You see, whenever you go to Start.qone8.com or Search.qone8.com you see lots of ads all over the place, which means a fair probability that those get clicked. The latter, in its turn, brings money to whoever is behind this whole campaign.
Unfortunately, getting rid of this virus takes more than manual action on a victim’s end. Unless the malign code proper gets removed, any changes you make by hand will be to no avail. Below is a comprehensive set of instructions to walk you through the cleanup process if you happened to fall victim to Qone8 fraud.
Qone8.com adware automatic removal
Elimination of Qone8 virus can be efficiently accomplished through the use of reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the adware get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get Qone8 removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process will most likely lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the malware is gone for good.
Remove Qone8 from Mozilla Firefox
• In order to restore your correct Firefox preferences, type about:config in the browser’s address field and press Enter
• Confirm that you would like to proceed by clicking on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button on the alert that pops up
• In the field called Search, type qone8
• Firefox will display all preferences related to Qone8. Be sure to right-click on each item and select the Reset option
• Since Firefox shortcut parameters gets affected by this infection as well, right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties. Then proceed to Shortcut tab and delete http://start.qone8.com from the Target field. Save the changes.
Remove Qone8.com from Internet Explorer
• In IE, go to Tools and choose Manage add-ons option in the drop-down menu
• Select Search Providers in the left-hand part of the interface. In the field to the right, choose the preferred search engine and click on Set as default button at the bottom
• On the same screen, remove Qone8 from the list by highlighting it and clicking Remove
• To debug your Internet Explorer shortcut settings, right-click on it and select Properties
• Go to Shortcut tab and delete http://start.qone8.com from the area named Target. Save the changes you made
• Now you need to set the correct IE homepage. Go to Tools and choose Internet Options. Hit the General tab and type in or paste the homepage you would like to open at browser launch
Remove Qone8.com from Google Chrome
• Click the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand part of the Chrome window
• Proceed to Tools –> Extensions
• Locate the unwanted extension affiliated with Qone8 adware
• When the malicious item is spotted, remove it by clicking on the trash bin icon next to it as shown on the screenshot below
• Again, click on the Chrome menu icon
• Choose Settings
• Proceed to the section named On startup under Settings, select the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages option and click on Set pages link.
• On the Startup pages screen that pops up, find the one that has Qone8 in its URL and click X button to the right.
• Proceed to the Search section under Settings, select Manage search engines option. Find and delete Qone8 from the list. Also, select your preferred search provider
• Now, in order to correct your Chrome shortcut settings, right-click on the shortcut icon and choose Parameters. Click on the Shortcut tab at the top and erase the http://start.qone8.com part from the Target field. Save the changes you made
Recheck if Qone8 virus has been successfully removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of Start.qone8.com adware are left inside Windows Registry and other system locations