The application called Counterflix is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it claims to be a DNS service aimed at providing users with access to popular media resources that are off limits in certain parts of the world. On the other hand, though, the people who opt for these unlock features encounter superfluous Ads by Counterflix on regular websites. This post explains how to go about this issue and provides instructions on removing the adware.
What is Counterflix?
By using the Counterflix solution, people can supposedly reach a number of multimedia sites and streaming resources that are otherwise blocked in specific states or regions. What users get instead is a nuisance that floods web pages with excess sponsored content. This mismatch of what’s promised and what’s obtained is a matter of security analysis and appropriate troubleshooting. Generally, the issue that the app in question allegedly addresses is quite a drag for thousands of users across the globe. Popular services, such as Netflix, HBO, ESPN, Crackle, BBC iPlayer, ITV, Pandora, Hulu and many others, tend to fight online piracy and other copyrights abuse problems through restricting their portals’ accessibility by geographic criteria. Their servers identify every visitor’s location based on the IP address and possibly other network markers and block the connection if these parameters are blacklisted.
This assumed functionality of Counterflix is a catch that lures numerous users into giving the software a shot. Furthermore, its authors state that their product fares better than VPNs and conventional proxy services, because it only deals with a small fragment of data related to one’s geolocation. However, the app interferes with a computer’s DNS settings in order to serve ads. This malvertising affects ecommerce sites and other web pages visited from the plagued PC. Objects signed “Ads by Counterflix”, “Counterflix Ads” or “Brought by Counterflix” will populate websites, overlapping the original content.
Ads by Counterflix may include large vertical and horizontal boxes with deals, banners with discounts and freebies, as well as interstitial pages popping up in the background. A particularly annoying side effect is the display of in-text links embedded into certain keywords across visited websites. Not only do all of these elements frustrate victims, but they also considerably deteriorate the performance of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. It’s important to emphasize that Ads by Counterflix are only generated on PCs that are infected with the adware, so this isn’t a web page issue.
This intrusive virus infiltrates Windows computers through an intricate software distribution scheme, where harmless programs are installed along with the malicious extra. Quite a few freeware repositories, including reputable ones, monetize their activity by cross-promoting potentially unwanted applications (PUAs). This is why it’s imperative to exercise caution with such installations and uncheck the stealthily imposed items by selecting the Custom setup option. Those already infected with the Counterflix virus should immediately eradicate the bad code, restore DNS settings to their normal state and reset the affected web browser.
Counterflix ads automatic removal
The extermination of Counterflix adware can be efficiently accomplished with reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the infection get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get the ads removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process is most likely to lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the ads is gone for good.
Remove Soap2Day malware using Control Panel
- Open Control Panel. On Windows XP / Windows 8, go to Add or Remove Programs. If your OS is Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 10, choose Uninstall a program
- Look down the list and locate an app that appears fishy. Click the Uninstall/Change (Change/Remove) option to get the intruder removed if spotted
Local Area Connection properties troubleshooting
- Go back to Control Panel and select View network status and tasks
- Select Local Area Connection in the right-hand part of the window
- Go ahead and click Properties on the status dialog
- Click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) entry and select Properties
- Activate the following option: Obtain DNS server address automatically
- Save the changes and exit
Counterflix ads removal by resetting the affected browser
Please take into consideration that as effective as it is, the procedure of restoring browser defaults will lead to the loss of personalized settings such as saved passwords, bookmarks, browsing history, cookies, etc. In case you are not certain this outcome is suitable despite its obvious efficiency, it’s advised to follow the automatic removal method described in one of the previous sections of this tutorial.
Reset Google Chrome
- Click on the Chrome menu icon and select Settings
- Locate the Advanced option under Settings and click on it to expand the menu. Then, pick the Reset button at the bottom
- When a new screen appears, hit Reset once again
- Chrome will now display a confirmation dialog box listing the types of data that will be lost if you proceed. Read the message carefully and, if you’re sure, click Reset
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Click on Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information from the drop-down list, or type about:support in the URL field
- On the Troubleshooting Information screen, click Refresh Firefox option and confirm the procedure on another dialog
Reset Internet Explorer
- In IE, go to Tools and select Internet Options from the list
- Hit the Advanced tab and click on the Reset option
- IE will now display Reset Internet Explorer Settings box, where you should put a checkmark next to Delete personal settings option and click Reset at the bottom
Verify whether Counterflix ads has been completely removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of this adware are left inside Windows Registry and other operating system locations.