Get up-to-date information about the methods of Babylon Toolbar removal for the major web browsers. You will also learn some background of this persistent adware app, its activity patterns and the effects it has upon one’s web surfing routine.
In the cyber realm of today, there’s an unfortunate trend of reputable services having dark facets. As an example, Babylon provides multifunctional linguistic solutions that have won indisputable recognition globally, but their extras such as the Babylon Toolbar have been causing a great deal of confusion and resentment. First off, even after the main desktop software gets uninstalled the toolbar stays, continuing to disrupt the user’s online activity through browser preferences distortion. More specifically, this add-on changes the custom-defined search provider to Isearch.babylon.com (Babylon Search). The browser homepage tends to get affected in the same way too.
Although not harmful for the host system in any way, Babylon Toolbar has a firm grip on the above-mentioned settings so that manually modifying them back won’t help. Likewise, the returned web page at Isearch.babylon.com shouldn’t cause any malware-related problems or similar, but it’s going to become nearly the most frequently visited one due to the forcibly configured redirects. However, one of the shortcomings that users may encounter is some browser slowdown, which is a tangible thing, and data mining on the web surfing habits, which is a background workflow unnoticeable for the naked eye.
The benefits for the authors of the Babylon Toolbar are clear: every single time the Isearch.babylon.com website is resolved at browser launch or during a random web search attempt, the user sees advertisements, such as banners and other types of sponsored links. This means pretty straightforward commercialization of the service, especially when one considers the large user base of the company’s products.
Avoiding this sort of intrusion is a matter of attentiveness mostly. When installing one of Babylon’s translation apps, read the terms of service carefully and be sure to un-tick the options you don’t want, such as to also get the toolbar in question. In case the unwanted setup did go through, it will take a targeted cleanup procedure to completely get rid of the Babylon Toolbar along with the Babylon Search accompaniment and restore the correct browser settings.
Babylon Toolbar automatic removal
Elimination of Babylon Toolbar and Babylon Search can be efficiently accomplished through the use of reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the adware get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get Babylon Toolbar removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process is most likely to lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the malware is gone for good.
Remove Babylon Toolbar using Control Panel
- Open Control Panel. On Windows XP / Windows 8, go to Add or Remove Programs. If your OS is Windows Vista / Windows 7, choose Uninstall a program
- Look for Babylon entry on the list and click Remove option to get it exterminated.
Remove Babylon Toolbar (Babylon Search) from Mozilla Firefox
1. Get rid of the trouble-making browser extension
- Click Tools in the upper section of your Firefox window
- Select Add-ons on the list
- Click the Extensions tab and search for entries affiliated with Babylon. When spotted, select the Uninstall option for those
2. Delete Babylon Search from the search engines list
- In the field to the right of the address bar, click on the arrow pointing downwards
- Choose Manage Search Engines
- Click on the Babylon-related entry and select Remove
3. Reset Firefox preferences
- Type about:config in the browser’s address field and press Enter
- Confirm that you would like to proceed by clicking on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button on the alert that pops up
- In the field called Search, type babylon
- Firefox will display all preferences related to Babylon adware. Be sure to right-click on each item and select the Reset option
Remove Babylon Toolbar from Internet Explorer
1. Get rid of the Babylon extension
- Select Tools and click Manage Add-ons
- Proceed to Toolbars and Extensions, find all entries associated with Babylon. Go ahead and disable them
2. Get the search engines list back to normal
- Go to Tools menu and select Manage Add-ons
- Click Search Providers
- Highlight the item corresponding to Babylon Search and hit the Remove button
3. Set the right homepage
- Go to Tools and select Internet Options
- Proceed to the General tab
- Click Use default or type the correct URL in the box
Babylon Toolbar removal for Chrome
1. Uninstall Babylon Extension
- Click on the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand part of the Chrome window
- Go to Tools –> Extensions
- Locate the unwanted extension affiliated with Babylon
- When the malicious item is spotted, remove it by selecting the respective option
2. Restore Chrome’s start page
- Again, click on the Chrome menu icon
- Select Settings
- Proceed to the section named On startup under Settings, select the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages option and click on Set pages link
- On the Startup pages screen that pops up, find the one that has Babylon in its URL and click X button to the right
3. Remove Babylon Search from the list of Chrome search engines
- Select Manage search engines within the same interface
- Remove the entry related to Babylon Search by clicking on the X symbol next to it. Pick the search provider to be used by default
Recheck if Babylon Toolbar has been successfully removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of this adware are left inside Windows Registry and other system locations