The objective of this guide is to provide in-depth information about Search.conduit.com browser hijacker and outline comprehensive steps for removal of this adware.
The fringe between normal and obtrusive online marketing is very thin, and unfortunately some individuals tend to abuse this vague delineation. Conduit Search is currently one of the most prominent instances of such unethical practices. Broadly labeled as adware, the respective browser extension distorts its victims’ web surfing and online search preferences by forcibly replacing the user-defined values with its own. As a result, the affected user gets directed to Search.conduit.com when opening their browser and trying to perform web search.
It doesn’t take a scientist to understand why the authors of Conduit Search are adopting this sort of tactic. The underlying cause has to do with advertising on the Internet, which is an activity that gets plentifully paid for these days. The people who find themselves trapped in this constantly repeating loop of browser redirects get to see ads on the search results pages generated by Conduit. Therefore chances are users click on those ads, and the advertisers reward the scammers for this the leads.
Sadly enough, getting contaminated with Conduit Search adware is quite likely to be a covert process. It often comes with third-party software downloads as an opt-out bundle which a great many users usually don’t pay attention to. Also, the so-called Community Toolbar by Conduit is being distributed as a standalone instrument for boosting online advertising opportunities and can be created as a custom solution. These superficial benefits for businesses will inevitable cause trouble for a lot of users who happen to install this piece of software. Other apps leading to this browsing mess include BrotherSoft Extreme Toolbar, Search Protect by Conduit, and Conduit Apps Toolbar. So, treat these with caution.
Addressing the Conduit Search malware issue is not as trivial as it may appear at first sight. It won’t go away if you manually restore your correct preferences in the settings of whatever browser you are using. In the cleanup part of this step-by-step guide we will tell you how to completely get rid of this nasty adware.
Conduit Search adware automatic removal
Elimination of Conduit virus can be efficiently accomplished by using reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the adware get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get Conduit Search removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process is most likely to lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the malware is gone for good
Remove Conduit Search using Control Panel
• Open Control Panel. On Windows XP / Windows 8, go to Add or Remove Programs. If your OS is Windows Vista / Windows 7, choose Uninstall a program
• Look for all apps associated with Conduit on the list (Conduit Apps Toolbar, Search Protect by Conduit, BrotherSoft Extreme) and click Uninstall/Change option to get those exterminated
Remove Conduit Search from Mozilla Firefox
1. Get rid of the trouble-making toolbar
• Click Tools in the upper section of your Firefox window
• Select Add-ons on the list
• Click Extensions tab and search for entries affiliated with Conduit. When spotted, select Remove option
2. Restore the desired homepage
• Go to Tools and choose Options…
• Navigate to General tab and click Restore to Default under Startup section of the interface
3. Delete Conduit Search from search engines list
• In the field to the right of the address bar, click on the arrow pointing downwards
• Choose Manage Search Engines
• Click on the Conduit entry and select Remove
Remove Conduit adware from Internet Explorer
1. Get rid of Conduit toolbar
• Select Tools and click Manage Add-ons
• Proceed to Toolbars and Extensions, find Conduit or BrotherSoft Extreme toolbar, and disable the culprit
2. Set the right homepage
• Go to Tools and select Internet Options
• Proceed to General tab
• Click Use default or type the correct URL in the box
3. Change the search engines list
• Go to Tools menu and select Manage Add-ons
• Click Search Providers
• Highlight Conduit Search on the list and choose Remove option
Conduit Search virus removal from Chrome
1. Uninstall Conduit toolbar
• Click on the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand corner of your Chrome window
• Go to Tools –> Extensions
• Locate the unwanted extension affiliated with Conduit adware
• When the malicious item is spotted, remove it by clicking on the trash bin icon next to it
2. Restore Chrome’s start page
• Again, click on the Chrome menu icon
• Choose Settings
• Proceed to the section named On startup under Settings, select the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages option and click on Set pages link.
• On the Startup pages screen that pops up, find the one that has conduit in its URL and click X button to the right.
Recheck if Conduit Search has been successfully removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of this adware are left inside Windows Registry and other system locations