Most infections that target web browsers are of a fairly run-of-the-mill nature, but some are apparently backed by serious effort that their makers invest. Binkiland, for example, is supported by strenuous marketing and has a diversified product structure represented by the Binkiland browser and the respective add-on. Which features make this app malicious and how to treat it if it’s on board are the subjects this article touches upon.
Binkiland happens to be currently on the ‘most wanted’ list of adware programs due to a swift rise of infection instances and the extensive shady infrastructure behind it. This arguably legit application sports a heterogeneous essence, where the contrast between the promoted web browser and the browser extension is obvious. The Binkiland browser is tailored to function as “your new homepage”, where you can save and bookmark websites on the fly as well as customize the interface – nothing wrong there, really. But the Binkiland add-on that goes in the bundle is very likely to cause trouble to whoever installs it. Incidentally, the installation isn’t nearly as transparent as it should be. Utilities that are functionally unassociated to the app in question tend to push the corrupt components as part of a package. Some re-engineered versions of Flash Player updates, video downloaders and multiple types of media tools are in cahoots with the people administering the Binkiland campaign. Their installation wizards have an unskippable dialog strongly recommending the third-party item. Sometimes you can opt out, but most of the time that’s not the case.
The Binkiland add-on, which hops into the computer through the stealthy workflow highlighted above, gets unjustifiably broad privileges that you never really granted it. The homepage in Chrome, IE and Firefox is all of a sudden replaced by binkiland.com. There’s more: the URL tied to the new tab configuration and the settings for quick-access search provider undergo the same changes, making you bound to binkiland.com in all browsers. The site under consideration is a search service that actually returns results for what you type, but these results are bountifully complemented by sponsored links, which are obviously the key element in the fraudsters’ plan.
This whole mishap cannot be fixed by toggling the settings on the extensions interface, because the add-on is programmed to be tenacious and resist the commonplace uninstall techniques. Overall, although the Binkiland browser might be a handy thing to use, the add-on is an awful troublemaker that people are having lots of issues removing. The information below is there to clarify what should be done to get rid of Binkiland.
Binkiland automatic removal
Elimination of the Binkiland virus can be efficiently accomplished through the use of reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the adware get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get Binkiland Search removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process will most likely lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the malware is gone for good.
Remove Binkiland using Control Panel
- Open Control Panel. On Windows XP / Windows 8, go to Add or Remove Programs. If your OS is Windows Vista / Windows 7, choose Uninstall a program
- Look for Binkiland on the list. Once spotted, click Uninstall/Change (Change/Remove) option to get it exterminated
Remove Binkiland Search from Firefox
- In order to restore your correct Firefox preferences, type about:config in the browser’s address field and press Enter
- Confirm that you would like to proceed by clicking on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button on the alert that pops up
- In the field called Search, type binkiland
- Firefox will display all preferences related to this adware. Be sure to right-click on each item and select the Reset option
- Now go to Tools –> Add-ons
- Select Extensions on the screen, and uninstall Binkiland by clicking the Remove button
- Select the Change Search Settings option and set the search engine to be the default one. Save the changes by hitting OK
Remove Binkiland Search from Internet Explorer
- In IE, go to Tools and choose Manage add-ons option in the drop-down menu
- Select Search Providers in the left-hand part of the interface. In the field to the right, choose the preferred search engine and click on Set as default button at the bottom. Also, click on Binkiland entry with your mouse and hit the Remove button to eliminate it from the list
- Don’t exit the Manage Add-ons interface yet. Click the Toolbars and Extensions item on the left, locate Binkiland there and disable it by clicking the corresponding button at the bottom
- Now you need to set the correct IE homepage. Go to Tools and choose Internet Options. Hit the General tab and type in or paste the homepage you would like to open at browser launch
Remove Binkiland Search from Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand part of the Chrome window
- Select Settings in the drop-down list
- Proceed to the section called On startup under Settings, select the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages option and click on Set pages link
- On the Startup pages screen that pops up, find Binkiland Search (http://binkiland.com) and click the X button to the right
- Proceed to the Search section under Settings and select your preferred search engine on the list
- Under the Appearance section, put a checkmark for the Show Home button value and click Change
- Activate the Use the New Tab page radio button and save the changes by hitting OK at the bottom
- Click the Chrome menu icon again, proceed to Tools –> Extensions
- Find the Binkiland extension on the list (most likely called Binkiland New Tab) and click the trash bin icon next to it. This will remove the unwanted item
Recheck if Binkiland Search virus has been successfully removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of the Binkiland adware are left inside Windows Registry and other system locations.