The issue of Awesomehp.com adware changing web browser defaults without user authorization is addressed in this tutorial. You will learn the typical ways this hijacker infects computers as well as its goals and easy-to-follow removal recommendations.
As far as web browsing is concerned, one should always have options for which sites to visit and which services to make preferable. Unfortunately, adware programs like Awesomehp take over this essential decision-making, thus turning one’s online experience into a mess. As soon as the respective virus enters a PC, it immediately alters the default preferences such as the homepage and search provider to the affiliated URL of Awesomehp.com. Whereas this sort of activity is widely practiced by semi-legitimate browser extensions these days, this particular piece of code does a few more things that allow security experts to classify it as adware or PUP, which stands for “potentially unwanted program”. In particular, the virus modifies the shortcut settings for the browsers installed on a victim’s machine; this is done for making sure that the ‘right’ page is opened each time a browser is launched.
The background of Awesomehp.com hijacker is also composed of the contamination methods used and the objectives pursued by its authors. Getting infected is a fairly trivial process: you download and install a free application which actually does something – an example is YouTube Downloader HD software – and that utility has a hard-coded component that changes the settings described above. In many cases the unwanted bundle is not explicitly presented on the setup screen for the third-party software distributing it.
Making money is the primary mission that Awesomehp creators are driven by. The web page proper includes sponsored links and advertisements which are shown to users, whether they like it or not. In the long run, advertisers pay for this traffic. Another disadvantage for infected users (and benefit for the fraudsters) consists in the fact that one’s web search preferences are collected, which means privacy gets infringed to some extent.
At the end of the day, you get too annoyed by having to close randomly displayed browser tabs that the virus opens. The solution that handles the very core of the problem is to remove the adware – this is what the rest of this article is dedicated to.
Awesomehp.com adware automatic removal
Elimination of Awesomehp.com virus can be efficiently accomplished through the use of reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the adware get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get Awesomehp removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process will most likely lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the malware is gone for good. Furthermore, you will also need to fix the browser shortcut settings.
Remove Awesomehp.com from Firefox
• In order to restore your correct Firefox preferences, type about:config in the browser’s address field and press Enter
• Confirm that you would like to proceed by clicking on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button on the alert that pops up
• In the field called Search, type awesomehp
• Firefox will display all preferences related to Awesomehp.com. Be sure to right-click on each item and select the Reset option
• Since Firefox shortcut parameters gets affected by this infection as well, right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties. Then proceed to Shortcut tab and delete http://awesomehp.com/ from the Target field. Save the changes.
Remove Awesomehp.com from Internet Explorer
• In IE, go to Tools, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list, and choose Enable of Disable Add-ons
• Select Search Providers in the left-hand part of the interface. In the field to the right, choose the preferred search engine and click on Set as default button at the bottom
• On the same screen, remove Awesomehp from the list by highlighting it and clicking Remove
• To debug your Internet Explorer shortcut settings, right-click on it and select Properties
• Go to Shortcut tab and delete http://awesomehp.com/ from the area named Target. Save the changes you made
• Now you need to set the correct IE homepage. Go to Tools and choose Internet Options. Hit the General tab and type in or paste the homepage you would like to open at browser launch
Remove Awesomehp.com from Google Chrome
• Click the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand part of the Chrome window
• Proceed to Tools –> Extensions
• Locate the unwanted extension affiliated with Awesomehp.com adware
• When the malicious item is spotted, remove it by clicking on the trash bin icon next to it as shown on the screenshot below
• Again, click on the Chrome menu icon
• Choose Settings
• Proceed to the section named On startup under Settings, select the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages option and click on Set pages link.
• On the Startup pages screen that pops up, find the one that has Awesomehp in its URL and click X button to the right.
• Proceed to the Search section under Settings, select Manage search engines option. Find and delete Awesomehp from the list. Also, select your preferred search provider on the same interface
• Now, in order to correct your Chrome shortcut settings, right-click on the shortcut icon and choose Parameters. Click on the Shortcut tab at the top and erase the http://awesomehp.com/ part from the Target field. Save the changes you made
Recheck if Awesomehp virus has been successfully removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of Awesomehp.com adware are left inside Windows Registry and other system locations