An easy-to-follow instruction on the removal of Qvo6 browser infection, as well as exhaustive information about this hijacker’s activity are provided in this guide for the affected users to be able to solve this problem fast and efficiently.
Due to its boundless profitability potential, advertising on the Internet is of interest to both legal businesses and unfortunately semi-legitimate organizations or cybercriminal gangs. This lure induces fraudsters to come up with adware applications that get distributed on a large scale and display advertisements to users. Qvo6 is one of such abominable samples of malware capable of hijacking web browsers. It spreads with other installs some examples of which are eSafe Security Control, BrowserProtect, and Desk365. These are purportedly handy applications distributed for free, but they might carry an undeclared bundle which basically causes problems afterwards. It adds an extension to one’s browser without being authorized to do so. This is followed by automatic changes in browser settings that are normally defined on a custom basis, namely the search provider and homepage. Furthermore, the adware tends to modify browser shortcut settings. These values are all set to Qvo6.com or Search.qvo6.com, both pointing to an identical landing page which is shown on the screenshot below.
From that moment on, the web page mentioned is going to be the top one visited on the infected computer. It is designed to look like a pretty standard search engine, the only prominent difference being ads occupying a large section on the site. It turns out Qvo6.com does not actually have a built-in search functionality of its own, simply redirecting to a reputable service as you enter a random search query. The latter fact signifies that the goal being pursued by scammers is to constantly divert victims’ traffic to the same page where the only variable is ads that switch from hit to hit. No further effort, such as even mimicking a keyword lookup option, has been taken.
In order to get the Qvo6 virus off a PC, one needs to take a number of measures ranging from manual removal of the associated add-on and changing browser shortcut parameters – all the way to using an automatic security solution that will eradicate all components of the infection wherever those might lurk.
Qvo6 adware automatic removal
Elimination of the Qvo6.com virus can be efficiently accomplished through the use of reliable security software. Sticking to the automatic cleanup technique ensures that all components of the adware get thoroughly wiped out from your system.
1. Download recommended security utility and get your PC checked for malicious objects by selecting the Start Computer Scan option
2. The scan will come up with a list of detected items. Click Fix Threats to get Qvo6 removed from your system. Completing this phase of the cleanup process will most likely lead to complete eradication of the infection. However, it might be a good idea to consider ascertaining the malware is gone for good.
Remove Qvo6 virus using Control Panel
- Open Control Panel. On Windows XP / Windows 8, go to Add or Remove Programs. If your OS is Windows Vista / Windows 7, choose Uninstall a program
- Look for all apps associated with Qvo6 on the list (Qvo6 Toolbar, eSafe Security Control, Browser Protect, Desk365) and click Change/Remove option to get those exterminated
Remove Qvo6 from Firefox
- In order to restore your correct Firefox preferences, type about:config in the browser’s address field and press Enter
- Confirm that you would like to proceed by clicking on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button on the alert that pops up
- In the field called Search, type Qvo6
- Firefox will display all preferences related to Qvo6 adware. Be sure to right-click on each item and select the Reset option
- Since Firefox shortcut parameters gets affected by this infection as well, right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties. Then proceed to Shortcut tab and delete http://www.qvo6.com/… from the Target field. Save the changes
- To remove Qvo6 from the list of Firefox search engines, access the Manage Search Engines box
- Highlight the Qvo6 entry on the list and click Remove button. Save the changes by hitting OK.
Remove Qvo6 from Internet Explorer
- In IE, go to Tools and choose Manage add-ons option in the drop-down menu
- Select Search Providers in the left-hand part of the interface. In the field to the right, choose the preferred search engine and click on Set as default button at the bottom
- On the same screen, remove Qvo6 from the list by highlighting it and clicking the Remove button
- To debug your Internet Explorer shortcut settings, right-click on it and select Properties
- Go to Shortcut tab and delete http://www.qvo6.com/… from the area named Target. Save the changes you made
- Now you need to set the correct IE homepage. Go to Tools and choose Internet Options. Hit the General tab and type in or paste the homepage you would like to open at browser launch
Remove Qvo6 from Google Chrome
- Click the Chrome menu icon in the top right-hand part of the Chrome window
- Select Settings on the drop-down list
- Proceed to the section called On startup under Settings, select the radio button for Open a specific page or set of pages option and click on Set pages link
- On the Startup pages screen that pops up, find the one that has Qvo6 in its URL and click the X button to the right
- Proceed to the Search section under Settings, select Manage search engines option. Find and delete Qvo6 from the list. Also, select your preferred search provider
- Under the Appearance section, put a checkmark for the Show Home button value and click Change
- Activate the Use the New Tab page radio button and save the changes by hitting OK at the bottom
- Now, in order to correct your Chrome shortcut settings, right-click on the shortcut icon and choose Parameters. Click on the Shortcut tab at the top and erase the http://www.qvo6.com/… part from the Target field. Save the changes you made
Recheck if Qvo6 virus has been successfully removed
For certainty’s sake, it’s advised to repeatedly run a scan with the automatic security software in order to make sure no harmful remnants of Qvo6.com adware are left inside Windows Registry and other system locations